Annual Awards Ceremony
The Aero Club of South Africa holds an annual Awards Dinner presently in early November.
The evening is to highlight the exceptional accomplishments of the members of the Aero Club of South Africa including all its Sections.
While the primary focus is on the membership, the awards committee might also consider nominations for non-members except in the Silver Wings and Gold Wings categories.
Awards Nomination Procedure
Anyone may nominate a candidate for an Aero Club award, however the chairman of the Sections are encouraged to make sure that deserving candidates are nominated. Nominations may be made at any time of the year, however they close for consideration at the end September. A formal call for nominations is to be made by the Awards coordinator by July to encourage nominations to be presented.
Award Categories and Trophies
The Aero Club Annual Awards are Categorised in Two Groups, International Championships (Protea Colours), and Individual / Team Achievements
- National Colours and Special Acknowledgements – Competitor participation at International events, supporting team members would be eligible for Special Acknowledgment
- Silver Wings – Exceptional Service / Project to further the Aero Club
- Gold Wings – At least 10 years’ meritorious service to Aero Club
- Special Recognition Certificate – Candidates who have made a noteworthy contribution to aviation
- Youth Development Certificate
- Don Tilley – Safety in Aviation
- DJA Aviation – Airmanship
- African Pilot – Air Show of the year
- James Gilliland – Most meritorious feat over the past year
- SA Eagle – Most meritorious achievement at an International Event
- PGS TROPHY – Manufacture or design in the South African Recreational Aviation
- Lewis Lang Trophy – Pilot of the Year
- Aero Club Lifetime Achievement Award
- Paul Tissandier – Diploma Established by the FAI in 1952, is named after Mr. Paul Tissandier, Secretary General of FAI from 1919 to 1945. It shall be awarded to those who have served the cause of Aviation in general and Sporting Aviation in particular, by their work, initiative, devotion or in other ways